Harness your entrepreneurial spirit and prepare to make waves with one of the only 100% online MBAs accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA).
Developed with the world-class team at Essex Business School, this online MBA programme will help you develop the knowledge, self-confidence and skills to lead within the dynamic environments of the modern business world.
You will take part in interactive Director’s Workshops, which bring industry leaders and outstanding speakers before our entire MBA student population for a week-long engaging experience. This is a unique opportunity for students to apply their knowledge to a variety of commercial scenarios and explore real-world business challenges from different perspectives.
Experiential learning is at the core of our MBA programme. Our interactive real-time synchronous attendance events deliver a wealth of reflection and learning opportunities for our students as they collaborate in groups of different sizes and composition. These real-time interactions allow students to contribute, share and reflect upon experiences and insights drawn from the different industrial, geographical and cultural perspectives represented in the global MBA community.
You will also benefit from your classmates’ expertise and experiences, alongside the course content, with our in-depth discussion forums. Subject tutors will be available during live seminars and virtual office hours, while our range of assessment techniques allow you to demonstrate your diverse skillset and understanding of the business areas.
Throughout this course, you’ll explore a broad range of topics including:
- different approaches to leadership and their impact on culture and business performance
- the global flows of resources, ideas, knowledge and people as features of global enterprise
- the effect that operations have on the sustainability of an organisation
- international marketing strategy and planning
- the three critical components of entrepreneurship
- accounting and finance techniques and their application in organisations
- work team effectiveness and motivation
Your studies culminate in the completion of an MBA Project, a dissertation or business plan on the business area of your choice, with research that you have conducted yourself.
Looking for something campus-based? The Essex MBA offers a face-to-face version of this course.
Why we’re great
- The Essex MBA is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA). Less than 2% of business schools can boast this accolade for their MBA and the AMBA affiliation can add huge value to your MBA qualification.
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
- Take part in engaging Director’s Workshops to bring your course to life.
The MBA is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- MBA Project (50 credits)*
- Director’s Workshop (10 credits)*
- MBA Synchronous Attendance (0 credits, 120 hours)*
- Business Planning (10 credits)
- Business Research (10 credits)
- Entrepreneurship (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
- Marketing in a Global Economy (10 credits)
- Sustainable Operations (10 credits)
- International Business Environment (10 credits)
- People and Organisations (10 credits)
- Leadership and Business Performance (10 credits)
- Strategic Online Marketing Management (10 credits)
- Accounting and Managerial Finance (10 credits)
- Managerial Economics (10 credits)
*These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- Collaborative Director’s Workshops and engaging virtual synchronous attendance
- Multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- Discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- Live seminars with your tutors
- A comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- Support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Our varied assessment methods allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the course content in a wide range of ways. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, participating in live attendance sessions, completing reflective journal entries, by submitting longer written pieces or by undertaking timed open-book exams at home, without the need to travel to an assessment centre.
In order to successfully complete the MBA, students are required to undertake 120 hours of live attendance. The live attendance sessions do not require physical attendance as they run 100% online.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our MBA course has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
An MBA sets you up for success in the dynamic environments of the modern business world. Whether you are seeking a senior position within an organisation or hoping to start up your own company, the skills and knowledge you develop will be useful in roles that manage finance, human resources, corporate strategy, marketing and sales management, research and development and management consultancy, among many others.
We offer two different entry routes on to our Online MBA, taking into account relevant academic qualifications and prior work experience. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic entry route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our MBA programme, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- a 1st, 2.1 or 2.2 undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree
- at least three years’ relevant, professional work experience, post-graduation
We are offering an Academic scholarship. Click here to find out more.
Work experience entry route
If you are a non-standard applicant (which is typically an applicant who possesses an undergraduate degree below a 2.2 standard, or an applicant who does not possess an undergraduate degree at all) we require at least five years of relevant managerial experience. You will also be required to write an essay (2000 words) outlining a range of business situations which you have experienced and identifying what you have learnt from them.
Your application will be considered on an individual basis taking into account your motivation for doing the course, prior work experience and other relevant qualifications that demonstrate your ability to successfully complete the programme.
English language requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Full tuition fee: £15,000†Δ
- Academic scholarship awarded on a merit basis for students starting in the 2020 / 2021 academic year.
Partial scholarship available for international students residing in specific regions outside of the UK.
- Designated for postgraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 10% of the tuition fee if you pay upfront.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
Please note that a maximum of two fee reductions can be applied, of which only one may be a scholarship. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
† An Academic scholarship is available to applicants with an undergraduate degree or a professional qualification equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree enrolling on to the MBA in the 2020 / 2021 academic year.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
What our students say
Erin Lovell - Essex Online MBA
I chose to study my MBA because I knew that ultimately, I'd like to own a number of businesses and work for myself.
The course itself was great, I took something valuable away from every module. I really enjoyed my Financial Decision Making for Managers course - which is ironic because that's the only one I was really dreading when I first saw the syllabus! I'm happy to say that I'm already using the course. I have just started my new role of Senior Project Analyst for the Bermuda Monetary Authority full-time.
This course was absolutely instrumental in my being prepared for this job. If you're waiting for the right time to take this course, it's now. It's an incredibly practical course and you will be able to apply the things you learn right away. There will never be a "perfect time" - so today is as good as any.
Read more from Erin
Ezzat Habra - Essex Online MBA
I was looking for a reputable recognised university to pursue my MBA. In addition to that, my work and life commitments meant that it was hard for me to attend a full-time or part-time university. On the other hand, the cost of MBA in the UAE was fairly expensive compared to other off-shore alternatives. University of Essex Online not only had a great academic reputation and student satisfaction, but it also answered my needs and fitted with my life. The course definitely needs dedication and hard work. Online reading requires different styles of studying, while at the same time it allows you more freedom to choose when to study. You build many positive habits, like being very organised and punctual which is essential in many parts of life. It’s been a great journey filled with challenges and excitement. Many modules influence my everyday life. The HR, research, marketing and...
William Annoh - Master of Business Management (MBM)
I was particularly impressed with the way that the online programme was structured. My Student Advisor Rebekah was very helpful in advising me and guiding me through the process. All the faculty who taught the modules were very very helpful; they taught me so much. I've learnt a lot of things and I'm willing and ready to use them in my career path. I particularly loved the discussion forums. It was a platform for us to engage with each other, so it helped us as online participants to get to know each other and think about different things. It helped me open my mind to a lot of different ideas. Now that I've finished my degree, the first thing I plan to do is to better myself in my role at work. I just started a new role last month so I'm looking forward to using my experiences from here to grow that. On the side I do some consultancy as well, and I have helped manage a few...