How can an online degree help you prepare for resettlement?


14th Sep 2018




If you were going on an exercise, would you leave base without a briefing and checking your kit? Of course not!

So if you’re thinking of leaving the armed forces, make sure you prepare yourself the best way you can: by adding valuable qualifications to your CV with funding support from the MoD.


Why study an online degree?

Online study is ideal for students who are in the services. While being transferred to another location can play havoc with face-to-face classes, all of our learning sessions take place online – all you need is an internet connection. And you don’t need to worry about missing the start of a class – while we do run live Q&A sessions, they are always recorded. Wherever you are in the world, you can meet deadlines and fit studying around your commitments.


What can I study?

We offer a broad range of courses, including business, law, criminology, psychology, healthcare and education. At undergraduate level you can study an 16-month CertHE course, designed for continuing education and a stepping stone into a new field. For those who are more sure about their future paths, an undergraduate Bachelors degree is a great way to open doors into a new career.

Meanwhile, our postgraduate Masters degrees (as well as our shorter PG Cert and PG Dip courses) are ideal for those who have experience or prior education in a field and wish to focus their study more.


What funding can I get?

The Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Services (ELCAS) provides funding for current and ex-military personnel, including those in their resettlement period. These credits are accepted on all our courses – meaning the cost to study with us is dramatically reduced.

For the remainder of your course you can apply for a government student loan (if you are eligible) or fund the course yourself. We have a range of payment options, discounts and scholarships available.


Do I need any previous qualifications?

Our flexible entry requirements look at both your academic and work-based experiences. Depending on the course you’re interested in, we might require three years’ relevant work experience, three A-levels or an undergraduate degree.

But if you don’t have either of those, we have an Open Entry route for some of our courses – meaning you don’t need any previous qualifications or relevant work experience to start studying with us.


What’s it like studying while in the military?

Don’t take it from us – here’s an interview with Katie Mitchell, who studied with us while she was a Sergeant in the Royal Signals. She goes into detail about what it’s like to study from Afghanistan, how easy it was to use ELCAS, and the benefits the courses had on her service and vice versa.


If you want to find out more about studying with us, just download a prospectus to find out more, or visit the ELCAS website to find out about getting funding in place.