News: University of Essex Online receives a Silver rating in the first-ever TEF awards.
University of Essex Online has achieved a silver rating in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) released today, placing the institution alongside other highly-ranked UK universities.
A provider taking part in the TEF is awarded silver for delivering high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
The TEF is a new scheme for recognising excellent teaching, in addition to existing national quality requirements for universities, colleges and other higher education providers. It provides information to help prospective students choose where to study.
Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that University of Essex Online ‘delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education’1.
The statement of findings taken from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) website2 declares that the provider metrics supplemented by the submission indicate that students achieve excellent outcomes in highly skilled employment or further study. Metrics also indicate very high levels of student satisfaction with assessment and feedback, and with academic support, on which the provider is notably above benchmark.
The Panel considered the College submission in relation to the TEF criteria and its judgment reflects, in particular, additional evidence of:
- the application of learning analytics and data-led research into the organisation and format of online learning materials ensures that curriculum content is at the forefront of online delivery
- bespoke and proactive student pastoral support, including dedicated Student Advisers supported by a Student Support team
- an institutional culture that facilitates, recognises and rewards excellent online teaching and learning has been implemented, including a thorough induction and mentoring process through which new tutors are required to complete an ‘on-boarding’ process which enables them to fully comprehend what online teaching entails
- support available for development of HEA Fellowship and / or membership of a relevant professional body
- varied and frequent formative assessment which provides high levels of stretch that ensures most students make progress, and acquire knowledge, skills and understanding that are valued by employers.
Nicola Pittman, Managing Director for University of Essex Online, said: “We are delighted to receive our silver rating in the first-ever TEF award. Here at University of Essex Online, we work extremely hard to provide pastoral care and to promote a culture of excellence and we are pleased that the judgement of the Panel and the statement of findings show clear evidence of the excellent support that all of our students receive.
About University of Essex Online
University of Essex Online offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses online to both UK and international students, enabling them to benefit from a flexible approach to study while maintaining the quality and support of a top UK university. Courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning (Essex) Limited, an experienced online learning provider.
For more info, visit http://online.essex.ac.uk/
Head of Marketing
University of Essex Online
T: 0113 388 8499