For the curious and courageous, this online BSc (Hons) Psychology challenges your thinking and explores the way in which our minds function. It is one of the few 100% online programmes accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS).
On this degree you’ll learn about the scientific and theoretical underpinnings of psychology as well as delving into several specialised areas. You also have optional modules to pick from, so you can tailor your own path and give yourself an insight into an area which you may want to pursue in the future.
Throughout this degree, you’ll have the opportunity to explore a broad range of topics including:
- the major developmental milestones from a variety of theoretical perspectives why people differ from one another
- the principles of psycho and pharmacotherapeutic in the treatment of mental health
- theories and methods in the field of social psychology
- the role of memory as the mediator of cognitive processes
Finally, you’ll be able to build on your research skills acquired during the programme through your final project on a psychology topic that is of personal interest to you.
The course includes content relevant to meet the BPS’s requirements of the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership Curriculum (GBC). This is an important step towards becoming a Chartered Member of the Society. If you hope to continue to study psychology after your degree, it is recommended that you choose an accredited course so that you can leave your options open for your future career.
Graduate membership is an essential starting point for your career as a qualified psychologist and is a prerequisite for many BPS accredited postgraduate and doctoral programmes. Without eligibility for the GBC you will not be able to complete society-accredited postgraduate and professional study.
Why we’re great
- You’ll be working with the our dedicated, motivated and passionate tutors who are all specialist in their own fields. They will be available for support and guidance to all our students.
- You’ll develop a number of transferable skills including critical-thinking, communication, evidence-based reasoning, investigative abilities, data analysis and many more.
- On this course there are also optional modules so you can tailor your learning to suit your own personal interests.
The BSc (Hons) Psychology is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 360 credits.
Level 4 modules:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning in Psychology (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Social Psychology (15 credits)*
- Personality and Intelligence (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)*
- The Psychology of Attitudes (15 credits)*
- Mental Health, Stress and Well-being (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Research Methods (30 credits)*
Level 5 modules:
- Biological Psychology (15 credits)*
- Advanced Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)*
- Individual Differences, Emotions and Behaviour (15 credits)*
- Reasoning and Decision-Making (15 credits)*
- Quantitative Psychology (15 credits)*
- Psychological Development through the Lifespan (15 credits)*
- One optional module:
- Qualitative Research Methods (15 credits)*
Level 6 modules:
- Critical Social Psychology (15 credits)*
- Developmental Science (15 credits)*
- Occupational Psychology (15 credits)*
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise (15 credits)*
- Investigative Psychology (15 credits)*
- Clinical and Counselling Psychology (15 credits)*
- Final Psychology Project (30 credits)*
* Core module (must be passed in order to achieve the award).
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our BSc (Hons) Psychology has an indicative study duration of 4 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
Provided you gain at least a Lower Second-Class (2.2) Honours degree overall, and pass your Final Psychology Project with a minimum mark of 40%, you will be eligible for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). Following additional training at postgraduate level, you will be able to qualify as a Chartered Psychologist (C.Psychol). Find out more about BPS accreditation.
Following completion of this course your career options are wide-ranging. Within the psychology discipline you could specialise in clinical, educational, forensic, health or occupational psychology. You could also pursue a career in related sectors such as counselling, civil service, research, healthcare, security, education and business.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed on our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English language requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic entry route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Psychology, you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- three A-levels or equivalent
Work experience entry route
In order to satisfy the work experience entry route requirements for our BSc (Hons) Psychology, you must meet the following criteria:
- GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
- three years’ relevant work experience
English language requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, a high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0.
Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
Full tuition fee: £18,500 (2022-23) Δ
Monthly tuition fee: £385 Δ
- Designated for undergraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 5% if you pay upfront.
- Partial scholarship available for international students residing in specific regions outside of the UK.
- 10% corporate discount available when three or more of your employees study with us.
Please note that a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. The corporate discount can only be used in combination with our upfront payment discount, but not in conjunction with any other discount or scholarship. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships here.
Our course fees are fully inclusive – all teaching materials and required reading are included, and there are no hidden charges for assessments or resits. We also charge the same fee for domestic and international students.
We want to give everyone the opportunity to experience a University of Essex Online course. We think you’ll love it! But if, within the first 21 days, you decide it’s not for you, you’ll receive a full refund.
Δ All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
Subject specialists, industry authorities and experienced academics: the tutors who teach modules on our BSc (Hons) Psychology are experts in the field of psychology.
What our students say
Michelle Franklin - CertHE Psychology
Take a breath and go for it, don’t be disheartened or held back by age or self-doubt.I left school at 16 with GCSEs and went straight onto an apprenticeship. I was a dental nurse for 16 years. 13 years ago, my husband (who is an ex London Fireman) and I started up our own business Franklins Training Services. We started off delivering fire safety training and we now employ and work with a team of over 20 staff and deliver training to over 400 clients. We have our own offices in Elmstead Market and I am really proud of what we have achieved. I have 2 boys who are now 26 and 23 years old who work in the business, as well as 2 grown-up stepchildren who between them have given us 6 grandchildren. I love spending time with my family and friends, I go horse riding when I have the time and I am studying psychology. I read a lot and if it’s not a murder mystery/thriller then...