Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you’ll have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live seminars and Q&A sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
You’ll be assessed through a series of assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, delivering live presentations or by submitting longer written pieces.
We’re committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback in the following ways:
- our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent
- you’ll always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme
- you’ll be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log into the learning platform
- there’s a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work
- you’ll have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise
Online learning experience
Your learning experience will be fully supported by high-quality learning materials and resources, delivered via our state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE).
On average, your learning experience will include the following:
- directed learning (40%) – this includes participating in tutor-led discussions and seminars, completing interactive exercises on the VLE, and watching videos and lecturecasts. You’ll also be able to book appointments with your module tutor during their office hours, which can be found on the VLE
- self-directed learning (30%) – including undertaking wider reading and research in your area of study to develop your understanding of the subject area
- assessment (30%) – time spent preparing ad completing assignments and activities that contribute towards your overall assessment.
Typically, you’ll need to dedicate a minimum 15-20 hours of study per module, per week.
Our PG Cert Nursing has an indicative study duration of 8 months, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you’ll be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex’s Colchester campus.
A quality teaching experience is at the heart of everything we do.
The dedicated tutors who teach our course modules are subject matter experts, experienced academics and leading industry thought leaders. They play a vital role in ensuring the latest theories and areas of study are covered in our courses, and are proud to provide a high level of academic support.
You can find more information on our key academic staff and their experience here.
Quality and assurance
We’re proud to provide a first-class education to students anywhere in the world and adhere to the strictest quality standards.
The University of Essex Online has been evaluated by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) and we’re registered in the Approved (fee cap) category with the Office for Students (OfS).
All our degrees are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning, a world-leading education provider with over 15 years’ experience.