Our 100% online and part-time Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) in Psychology course introduces students to both subject-specific knowledge and transferable skills.
This short course introduces the scientific understanding of the mind, brain, behaviour and experience. You’ll also be presented with different perspectives, promoting an appreciation of the real-life applications of psychology. Emphasis will also be placed on the role of empirical evidence in the development and critique of psychological theory, and how this influences the future of research in the discipline.
After this CertHE Psychology course, you’ll have an appreciation of the scientific and theoretical underpinnings of psychology including its historical origins, progression and limitations. You’ll also develop an awareness of the variability and diversity of psychological functioning and its significance. Finally, CertHE students will also be able to recognise a range of influences on psychological functioning and how these are conceptualised across three core discipline areas (social psychology, cognitive psychology, and personality and intelligence).
With an indicative study duration of just 16 months, this programme can be completed as a stand-alone qualification or used as a stepping stone towards our full BSc (Hons) Psychology degree.
Please note: This course is not accredited with the British Psychological Society (BPS).
* The start date and details of this course are still subject to University approval. In the event that approval is not granted by your course start date, an alternative date will be offered or a full refund given. If we need to make changes to this programme as part of the University of Essex validation process, we will communicate these to you at the earliest possible date.
The CertHE Psychology is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 120 credits.
Level 4 modules:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning in Psychology (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Social Psychology (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Cognitive Psychology (15 credits)*
- Personality and Intelligence (15 credits)*
- The Psychology of Attitudes (15 credits)*
- Mental Health, Stress and Wellbeing (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Research Methods (30 credits)*
Upon completion of your CertHE Psychology, we offer the opportunity for you to progress on to study for a full Bachelors degree (360 credits).
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.